The meeting was called to order at 11:00 a.m. by President Bob Rozema.
Board Members present: Rozema, Ieraci, Berkowitz, Guttman, Glickfield, Baker, Comis, Drews, Freismuth, Gilligan, Hamaker, McBride, Mayer, Nicholson-Brown, Songer, Vanek, and Gonzalez.
Approval of Minutes - The minutes of October 19, 2006 were approved.
Old & New Business -
President Rozema introduced and welcomed Fort Lauderdale Mayor Jim Naugle and newly elected Broward County Commissioner Ken Keechl
Mayor Naugle shared the following:
- Spoke regarding the tax base; Galt Mile assessment equals Cypress Creek and downtown areas
- Attended urban agenda meeting with other mayors
- The city’s pension system is a tremendous expense; health care costs are under control; contracts are to be negotiated soon
- Marine industry is now higher than tourism, although tourism is strong
- South Florida is leading the nation in economic security
Click Here for full report about Fort Lauderdale Commissioner Christine Teel’s Galt Mile Update. [Editor]
Commissioner Keechl stated:
- He will be sworn in on the following Tuesday (November 21, 2006)
- Thanked the people who supported him
- He is here for everyone – Republicans and Democrats
Chuck Rossi is now in assisted living in Hawaii; therefore a replacement for his position on the Galt Mile Board of Directors is needed. Ralph Hamaker was nominated and approved.
Kathy and Andy Mitchell of Ireland’s Inn gave a presentation on their proposed project.
La Reserve Property – Ralph Hamaker - Opus group has come back to the table and is trying to renegotiate; just at talking stage.
Il Lugano – Ralph Hamaker - The building has been topped off; working on the inside.
McDonald’s is pulling their play area down.
Galt Mile Web Site – Eric Berkowitz -
- September Hits: 837,161 hits; 13,968 unique site visits (first timers)
- October Hits: 707,766 hits; 10,354 unique site visits
New articles include:
Correspondence - Reviewed
Galt Merchants – Kevin Songer - OMerchants are planning a Pet Fair in January; need community support
Bob Rozema reminded group that our donation of $100,000 still remains undistributed.
Treasurer’s Report - Leah Glickfield reported $16,355.44 in our Treasury.
Other Business - A doctor’s office is going into Hart Travel’s previous location.
- We need to think about our organization’s longevity; all buildings should be represented
- Spoke about the self insurance plan; a presentation will be given at a Galt Mile meeting; could be a solution to insurance problem
- South Point has still not agreed to participate in the Beach Patrol program; their Board will discuss it again
- Insurance complaints: contact Ellyn Bogdanoff
- Need to revisit sprinkler issue
Next Board Meeting - THE NEXT REGULAR BOARD MEETING WILL BE HELD ON THURSDAY DECEMBER 21, 2006.
Meeting adjourned at 12:20 p.m.
Fern McBride, Assistant Secretary