MINUTES OF GMCA ADVISORY BOARD MEETING
DECEMBER 21, 2006
The meeting was called to order at 11:00 a.m. by President Pio Ieraci.
Introductions were made.
Board Members present: Ieraci, Berkowitz, Guttman, Gill, Glickfield, Alfano, Baker, Bindler, Casier, Comis, Freismuth, Gilligan, Hamaker, McBride, Mayer, Nicholson-Brown and Songer.
Approval of Minutes - The minutes of November 16, 2006 were approved.
Old & New Business -
President Pio Ieraci led discussion on various subjects:
- A car was stolen at the front door of the Galleon. This type of incident is more reason to move forward with the patrol project. Dott mentioned that this issue has been addressed in the Regency Tower newsletter. The only two buildings that have not as yet joined: Southpoint and Edgewater Arms.
- Discussed importance of broad participation in the Galt Mile Advisory Board/Presidents Council. The Advisory Board considered the problem of members who do not attend meetings. A letter will be sent to all buildings inviting participation and stressing being active within the organization. Members need to devote their input, resources and skills to help the community deal with security, insurance, beach restoration, political issues, etc.
- George Mayer stated that the sign at the entrance of the Mile needs to be polished.
- Mayor Naugle stated at Bob Rozema’s funeral that the City would like to do commemorate Rozema’s contributions to the community in Earl Lifshey Park. Dott Nicholson-Brown motioned a memorial bench be placed in front of the Galt Ocean Mile entrance sign; seconded by Eric Berkowitz and unanimously agreed.
- Jim Gill gave a history of the organization, which started in 1977. However, the Association sponsored educational talks as early as 1969. The community association’s purpose was to unify the buildings. It has been instrumental in many projects, such as the renovation of the Mile, Smile on the Mile, etc. The Advisory Board reflects the needs of the community. The Presidents Council’s first president was George Mayer. Owners were invited to “event” meetings, which were well attended.
- Discussed the various policies Associations have that govern the availability of advertising, campaign products and newsletters. Also discussed the numerous newspaper boxes on the streets.
- Kathy Freismuth shared that she and Leah belong to the Broward Coalition and suggested a presentation at our meetings. Discussion followed regarding make-up of this and other organizations. Participation should be determined by whether their agendas are helpful to association members.
- A question was asked about whether Il Lugano would be invited to join the GMCA. In response, they would be invited once control was transferred from the developer to the owners who would then form a representative Board.
- George Mayer made a motion nominating Pio Ieraci as President of the Galt Mile Community Association; seconded by Dott Nicholson-Brown; all agreed. Dott nominated Eric Berkowitz as Vice-President; seconded by Ralph Hamaker; all agreed. Rose Guttman nominated Fern McBride as Secretary and Leah Glickfield as Treasurer; seconded by Kevin Songer; all agreed.
- Pio explained the various components of the organization; the Galt Mile Community Association, the Advisory Board and the Presidents Council.
- Board of Directors: President, Pio Ieraci; Vice President, Eric Berkowitz; Treasurer, Leah Glickfield; Directors, Rose Guttman, Ralph Hamaker and Jim Gill. Kevin Songer was appointed Director to fill vacancy.
- Pio expressed how much we will miss Bob Rozema and asked for everyone’s help.
- Point of information: Bob was committed to transforming 34th Street into a Galt Mile “mirror.” Ralph Hamaker said that the City will re-landscape the north and south sides of 34th Street; installing all conduits underground. Buildings on 34th Street are being renovated; post office has been reopened.
- Discussed parking issues; suggested that parking meters at community center remain active after 6:00 p.m. to discourage parking issue from the south side of Oakland Park.
Treasurer’s Report - Leah Glickfield reported $16,821.84 in our Treasury.
Next Board Meeting - THE NEXT REGULAR BOARD MEETING WILL BE HELD ON THURSDAY JANUARY 18, 2007.
Meeting adjourned at 12:00 Noon
Fern McBride, Assistant Secretary
RETURN To GOVERNANCE
RETURN To MISSION STATEMENT
RETURN To BY-LAWS
RETURN To MEETING MINUTES INDEX
Click To Top of Page
Click on drop-down menu below and select meeting date.