The meeting was called to order at 11:00 a.m. by President Pio Ieraci.
Board Members present: Ieraci, Berkowitz, Glickfield, Gill, Guttman, McBride, Alfano, Baker, Bindler, Casier, Comis, Creal, Drews, Freismuth, Gill, Gilligan, Gonzalez, Mayer, Montross and Nicholson-Brown.
Approval of Minutes - The minutes of January 18, 2007 were approved.
Old & New Business -
President Ieraci introduced Les Hollingsworth, Executive Director of Downtown Fort Lauderdale Transportation Management Association (DFLTMA), and his assistant, Rabia Queshi, from Sun Trolley (which replaced the City Cruiser).
Mr. Hollingsworth shared the following:
- Showed pamphlet with Sun Trolley schedule and information
- Sun Trolley is celebrating its 15th year in existence
- He stated that Sun Trolley has no official bus stops; it is hailed like a taxi. Once construction is completed, there will be an official stop at the Beach Community Center. However, he was asked why stops were listed on the schedule.
- DFLTMA is considering extending the Galt Ocean Mile route past Federal Highway to Holy Cross Hospital
Mr. Hollingsworth was asked if the Galt Ocean Mile schedule could be extended to weekends and it was suggested that an informational flyer be distributed to individuals living in the area.
Il Lugano – Ralph Hamaker - Developer is working on getting balconies up and driving posts for piers in the Intracoastal Waterway.
Center Strip Update - Winn Dixie issues were discussed including cleanliness, employees, carts, cars exiting the wrong way, etc. We will contact Winn-Dixie to ask about their policy regarding shopping carts and available products – possibly by sending a letter.
A1A – Pio Ieraci - City Commissioner Christine Teel suggested requesting a preliminary feasibility study regarding demolishing the block from A1A to the Galt Mile, north to 35th Street; followed by construction of a multi-use/multi-function development.
Kevin Songer made a motion to support Christine Teel in requesting the feasibility study, seconded by Ralph Hamaker. After discussion, the issue was tabled until the next meeting in order to gather more information. Concern was expressed over the prospect of losing commercial space.
Upon Broward County Commissioner Ken Keechl’s arrival, Pio introduced and welcomed him. Commissioner Keechl shared the following:
- Focusing on beach renourishment, he expressed concerned about threats to its budget/funding. When asked about the project timetable, Pio shared that Nova will not release information on first phase of renourishment before the end of the18 month monitoring period.
- He spoke about construction of a hotel near our convention center.
- The Broward County Budget: property tax situation is out of control. Rather than vote for a tax increase, he will explore solutions such as a hiring freeze, revamping staff and other spending cuts. He supports the County Administrator’s stated intention to rely on department heads for reorganization guidance. He is facing expected opposition from the substantial power of lobbyists. He explained his “vision” of lobbying.
- His platform was built on open honest government, preserving green spaces, lowering taxes.
- Wants to do what is best for Broward County, whether Democrat, Republican or Independent.
- He gas been working very closely with Commissioner Teel.
- Ordinances establishing limits for lobbyists are in the works.
- Suggested that residents send e-mails to all commissioners – get addresses from their pages on the Broward County web site (www.broward.org) – with the message: “I want you to accept the roll back rate.”
Dott asked Commissioner Keechl about his articles in the Ft. Lauderdale City News.
Galt Roving Security Patrol - Sam Montross relayed incident of being accosted leaving the bank 2 weeks ago. The planned neighborhood security patrol would have provided better protection and quicker response. Southpoint is still holding up the process.
Treasurer’s Report - Leah Glickfield reported $16,102.39 in our Treasury.
Next Advisory Board Meeting - The next regular Advisory Board Meeting will be held on Thursday, March 15, 2007 at Nick’s Italian Restaurant.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:55 p.m.
Fern McBride, Secretary